Speed Mentoring for Young Feminists May 10th 5pm
Reel Grrls believes in the Future is Feminist, and is committed to incubate community space that builds empathy, advocacy and amplification.
Over the last 16 years, Reel Grrls has taught female identifying young people media skills to reinforce their inner power – how to access and use their unique voice to awaken and activate our community.
On May 10th we’re launching a new program in response to the 2016 election results. Grrl Active is a program dedicated to young activists who want to hone their skills in advocating, amplifying and igniting civic engagement through art and digital storytelling.
To launch the program we’re organizing a Speed Mentoring evening for our first Grrl Active co-hort, along with inviting other young leaders throughout Seattle an opportunity to be speed mentored on using their authentic, vulnerable and righteous voice to create positive social change.
We are honored to have the following leaders confirmed including:
- Kimya Dawson (Writer / Singer),
- My Tam H. Nguyen (VP of Business Development, Blokable),
- Viv Nicole (Activist, Y-WE),
- Laura Culberg (Owner, SweatBox Yoga)
- Luzviminda Uzuri Carpenter (Resident Artist and Social Justice and Performance Studies Teacher at Seattle Girls’ School, Scholar, Artist and Activist, Radio Personality #LuluNation )
- Lara Davis (Artist, racial equity consultant, and arts administrator working at the intersection of culture, public education, and social justice)
- Susie Lee (Artist / former CEO/co-founder of Siren, a more human dating app), and
- Subi Terhanian (CEO of Uncle Harry’s Natural Products)
We are excited to announce other leaders in our community that through their tenacity, work and voice as change makers. We believe their insight and guidance, over the course of an hour, will inspire our emerging feminist leaders’ lives as they lead their peers and beyond.
The purpose of this event is to –
- Kick off our newest leadership program – Grrl Active
- Activate and inspire our community to work with the next generation of activists through the lens of the Future is Feminist.
- Mentors will provide the young leaders insight through mentor’s personal experience, and also tips on speaking in public and representing their work
Following the speed mentoring we will host a panel for young people to talk about their reactions to the election and specifically how it has galvanized their commitment to progressive feminist values through civic engagement, arts and digital storytelling.
May 10th – 5 – 8:30pm @ Pyramid Ales
- Speed mentoring – Up to 30 young feminists middle school – high school age to take part in the speed mentoring
- Following the mentoring – we will have a panel– youth & adult panelists will talk about the election’s impact and we will see where the conversation goes from there
- Cost is sliding scale $5 – $15, Food and drinks will be provided as part of registration.
Title: The Future is Feminist Inaugural Event
Date: May 10th 2017 5:00 – 8:30pm
Location: Pyramid Alehouse (1201 1st Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98134)
- 5pm: Youth & Mentors Arrive for Speed Mentoring
- 6:30pm: Speed Mentoring Wraps-up
- 7pm: Panel Starts
- 8pm: Panel Ends
- 8:30pm: Event Ends
Reel Grrls is a local non-profit with a mission to support young people to explore, critique and author media through a feminist lens.
If you have additional questions call: 206-375-1132.